Boom or bust, there’s never a dull moment in Calgary’s employment scene. There are a number of well-established high-quality employers have their headquarters stationed in the downtown core and truth be told, there are a lot of great employers in Calgary.
This city is known for oil and gas, but Calgary’s economy is more diversified than you may think. Calgary has warehouse and manufacturing sectors, regional head offices for banks, insurance companies and law firms, transportation and alternative energy companies. Some of Calgary’s top employers include the University of Calgary, Mount Royal University and the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology.
Top Employers in Calgary
Calgary’s economy is becoming increasingly diversified and the workforce is spread across a wide range of industries. Here are just some Calgary’s top employers and why they’ve been recognized as a great place to work…
- Suncor is a globally competitive energy company and one of Calgary’s largest employers. Suncor awards its employees with pension, benefits and career development programs.
- Aecon has been recognized both provincially and nationally as one of the best places to work because of its safety-first culture and profit sharing.
- Big Rock Brewery offers telecommuting options and flex-time as well as a RRSP matching plan to entice and retain new employees.
- Enerflex Limited makes industrial machinery and equipment. Part of the draw for employees is the share purchase plan available to all employees and generous referral bonus of $3,000.
- Rogers Insurance Limited starts every employee with three weeks’ vacation which will grow to six weeks for long serving employees.
- Gibson Energy Inc. is an energy firm based in Calgary. This company is attracting employees because of its flexible benefits plan which include a vacation-purchase program and personal spending accounts.
- WestJet has a strong purchase plan that’s available to all employees and an RRSP matching plan for up to 9% of your salary.
- PCL Constructors Inc. is a construction company that builds commercial and institutional developments. This company is committed to its employees and offers an on-site fitness facility, retirement planning services and a defined contribution pension plan.
- Bennett Jones LLP is a legal services provider and offers its employees flexible work schedules, an array of social events and more.
These are just some of the great employers in Calgary. The province of Alberta is the heart of the country’s energy sector and this industry is a key driver of Calgary’s economy. In addition to this, Calgary boasts Canada’s highest small business population per capita. If you’re thinking about moving to Calgary there’s no doubt that you will be able to find a great job.
Moving To Calgary For Work
Calgary employers are always seeking top talent no matter the economic climate. As the city becomes more cosmopolitan in nature, employers are looking for talent from Europe, Asia and South America. People who move to Calgary from around the world shape the way our city is built, influencing our architecture, arts and culture and human dynamics.
If you are considering a move to Calgary and are looking at many of our city’s top employers, it’s easy to perform online searches to see what position s are available. When relocating, for whatever reason, it’s a good idea to visit Calgary and see for yourself.
Assistance with relocating to Calgary is top of mind with most Calgary employers. Before accepting a position, it’s important to do the research to make sure you and your family will enjoy living in Calgary. Things to consider are:Where is your employer located and how close to work do you want to be?
- Will you need public transportation or will you drive?
- What kind of lifestyle do you have – urban nightlife or suburban/family?
- What type of housing do you require and what is your budget?
- What type of school do you need? (Public, private, religious affiliation)
Calgary employers will generally pay employees a salary commensurate with the local cost of living. Calgary housing ranks second in Canada for monthly rents, but is not as expensive as Vancouver or Toronto.
When researching Calgary employers, find out how much support they will provide when it comes to:
- Selling your current home
- Moving your possessions
- Travel costs (airfare, gas, vehicle rental, meals, hotel)
- Purchasing a new home
Some Calgary employers use relocation services to assist with employee relocations.
The Calgary Work Environment
Employers are often ranked by various organizations and media publications, providing prospective employees a glimpse into employee satisfaction. A search will uncover the top ranked employers in Calgary who meet or exceed specific criteria.
Many of Calgary’s top employers have won local and prestigious national awards for human resources, workplace ethics, performance management and inclusive culture. Some of the criteria for which they have been nominated include the physical workplace, the atmosphere and social aspects of the workplace, community involvement and attitudes towards work/life balance.
Employee communication ranks high among many Calgary employers. There are great benefits, including extended health care, insurance, vacation and personal days, volunteer days, training and skills development and much more.
Things To Consider When Choosing A Calgary Employer
In order to compete on the global stage with other employers, Calgary employers are constantly assessing programs and employee benefits to ensure they remain fair and competitive. Employee retention is critical to the success of any employer.
Calgary employers are front and centre in many of our city’s major festivals and charitable events. That starts with the Calgary Stampede where many employers buy sponsorships, host pancake breakfasts, throw barbecues, rent suites at the world famous chuck wagon races and give employees time off to entertain clients at various functions.
Volunteering is the hallmark of Calgary’s corporate culture. Calgary employers are known to give employees volunteer days, or chose charitable events such as the Calgary Corporate Challenge or Food Bank drives where groups of employees give their time and talent to help a worthy cause.
Relocating to Calgary? The Justin Havre Team are Calgary relocation experts, get in touch today with your questions about moving to Calgary.