Moving Itinerary and Checklist
Haven't found a home yet? Search now for properties in Calgary.
8 Weeks Before Moving:
- Contact van lines or rental truck companies to get estimates.
- If you have unwanted or unneeded items, plan a garage sale and set a date.
- Arrange to transfer school records if you have children.
- Start a "move file" for all receipts, papers, and estimates related to your move.
6 Weeks Before Moving:
- Select a van line or rental truck company and arrange pick-up and delivery dates.
- If you are moving to a new city, ask your attorney, doctor, and other providers for referrals and necessary records.
- If you have pets, schedule a check-up and get a copy of veterinary records.
- Set schedules with real estate agents and/or landlords.
4 Weeks Before Moving:
- Schedule disconnect dates with your local utility company(ies).
- Notify the appropriate utility company(ies) of connect dates for your new home.
- Cancel newspaper subscription and trash pickup effective on your move date.
- Check with your local post office for change of address information and forms.
1 Week Before Moving:
- Clean out refrigerator and defrost freezer.
- Have your car serviced if you will be moving/driving a long distance.
- Confirm connect dates for utilities in your new home.
- Transfer or close your checking account. Be sure to get all items from your safe deposit box.
- Spend the entire day at home with the movers.
- Carry any valuables or family heirlooms with you.
- Just before the movers leave, take a final tour of your home. Make sure nothing has been left in drawers or closets.
- As you leave, be sure all windows and doors are locked.
Who to Notify Checklist
Services and Utilities