Moving Itinerary and Checklist
Haven't found a home yet? Search now for properties in Calgary.
8 Weeks Before Moving:
- Contact van lines or rental truck companies to get estimates.
- If you have unwanted or unneeded items, plan a garage sale and set a date.
- Arrange to transfer school records if you have children.
- Start a "move file" for all receipts, papers, and estimates related to your move.
6 Weeks Before Moving:
- Select a van line or rental truck company and arrange pick-up and delivery dates.
- If you are moving to a new city, ask your attorney, doctor, and other providers for referrals and necessary records.
- If you have pets, schedule a check-up and get a copy of veterinary records.
- Set schedules with real estate agents and/or landlords.
4 Weeks Before Moving:
- Schedule disconnect dates with your local utility company(ies).
- Notify the appropriate utility company(ies) of connect dates for your new home.
- Cancel newspaper subscription and trash pickup effective on your move date.
- Check with your local post office for change of address information and forms.
1 Week Before Moving:
- Clean out refrigerator and defrost freezer.
- Have your car serviced if you will be moving/driving a long distance.
- Confirm connect dates for utilities in your new home.
- Transfer or close your checking account. Be sure to get all items from your safe deposit box.
- Spend the entire day at home with the movers.
- Carry any valuables or family heirlooms with you.
- Just before the movers leave, take a final tour of your home. Make sure nothing has been left in drawers or closets.
- As you leave, be sure all windows and doors are locked.
Who to Notify Checklist
Services and Utilities
In March, the average amount of days on the market for listings was sitting at only 34. When March came to an end, active listings totaled 3,233 which was a 19%...Read More